The simple answer is YES! Our skin and our eyes are organs. This makes them susceptible to the elements, which mean that like our skin, our eyes can become sunburned from prolonged exposure. There are simple things you can do to prevent photokeratitis, which is essentially damage to the cornea from sunlight exposure. Cataracts and macular degeneration are some of the long-term issues linked to prolonged UV exposure.
3 Ideas for Protecting Your Eyes in the Summer
- SUNGLASSES! Wearing protective eyewear is an essential for summer. There are a lot of great stylish sunglasses to choose from that can protect your eyes while keeping you looking great. Larger frames will always protect more of your face so consider oversized styles for prolonged exposure. Also, when shopping for sunglasses, the most important feature to keep in mind is full UV coverage. You want to look for a sticker that says UV 400 which covers UVA and UVB lights or 100% UV protection.
- Large brim hats are very much in style right now. When outside and exposed to the sun, wear one that shades your eyes.
- While at the pool, beach, lake, or river, consider an umbrella to create a shaded spot for yourself and your family.
How Are Sunburned Eyes Treated?
There are things you can do to make yourselves more comfortable while waiting for it to resolve. These include:
- Applying a cold compress to the eyes. A cold wash cloth over the eyes can reduce pain and swelling.
- Using artificial gel teardrops or a lubricating ointment. This can reduce the gritty or sandy feeling in the eye.
- Taking over-the-counter pain medications. Nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory medications such as ibuprofen or naproxen sodium can help reduce inflammation and irritation in the eye.
- Avoiding further sunlight exposure. Don’t worsen your existing injury.
Don’t Forget About Those Overcast Days
Even on days when you don’t see the sun, your eyes are exposed to UV rays. Wind, glare, and ultraviolet radiation exposure are always present. Regardless of the time of year, sporting the right protective eyewear is important for your overall eye health. Avoid the short and long-term effects of UV damage (and look stylish) by simply throwing on a pair of shades year-round.
Wishing everyone a happy, healthy, and safe summer!
Haven’t had your annual eye exam yet? Call for an appointment today.(909) 596-6756 2443 Foothill LaVerne CA 91750
(909) 982-0100 1637 Mountain Ave Upland CA 91784